On March 20th, 2015, after six seasons, one of my favourite televisions shows of all time, said goodbye to us. Glee centered around William McKinley High School’s glee club led by Will Schuster (played by Matthew Morrision) and the original Glee club students of Rachael Berry (Lea Michele), Finn Hudson (the late Cory Monteith), Kurt Hummel (Chris Colfer), Mercedes Jones (Amber Riley), Artie Abrams (Kevin McHale), Quinn Fabray (Dianna Agron), Santana Lopez (Naya Rivera), Brittany S. Pierce (Heather Morris) and Noah Puckerman (Mark Salling). Then, you can’t forget Sue Sylvester (played by Jane Lynch) who was the rival cheerleading coach turned principal who vowed to take the Glee Club down time after time. These were the originals, and the ones who continued to make reoccurring appearances that always brought a smile to my face after their contracts ended as series regulars (except for the few who remained regulars throughout the six seasons).
Glee made me laugh and it made me cry. The performances were always incredible, and my music library has grown from the music (both covers and a few original songs) that were featured on the show. I always looked forward to a new Glee episode, and I was a true fan even when the show’s future was questionable and the episodes were not their best. However, I feel the show came full circle and the series ended back on top.
When Cory Monteith passed away unexpectadly in July 2013, the cast and fans everywhere were devestated. I was worried about Glee’s future at that point, but the cast and crew showed great strength in their ability to carry forward a few more seasons to end the show with a scripted conclusion. Everyone knew it was supposed to be Finn & Rachael together in the end (Cory Monteith & Lea Michele’s characters), but it just goes to show that even in television, things don’t always go as planned and Glee mirrored real life in that way.
I urge anyone who has a love for music, laughter, drama, and can relate to being in high school and all the pressures that are faced, to watch this show. Here are some of the highlights of my favourite episodes, performances, and clips from Glee. I won’t choose any that would spoil major plot moments, in case this inspires someone to watch the series!
1. I loved the character of Santana and I’m definitely a Naya Rivera fan for life. Her attitude, sarcasm, and feistiness is one that I aspire too, except that I would throw a bit more sweetness and sensitivity in to that personality. Here’s a performance of Nutbush City Limits which is one of my favourites!
And here’s a video of some of Santana’s best lines ever!
2. I always loved when it was mash-up week on the Glee Club, and this is one of the first and best mashups, way back from Season 1. It’s My Life/Confessions Part II
3. This is my second favourite Mashup. Rumour Has It/Someone Like You
4. One of my favourite emotional performances from Miss Rachael Berry features her singing To Love You More.
5. And just because I can’t possible share all of my favourite glee musical moments, here’s a video that shares some of them for me:
Now, let’s see if I can find some non-musical moments to share that won’t give away anything plot-wise. But just in case, their is potential for spoilers so consider this your alert.
1. Here’s a video of funny glee moments:
2. Glee wouldn’t be Glee without Rachael Berry. So, here are some of Rachael’s best moments:
It’s really difficult to put everything that I have loved about this show into one blog post, because there is just so much that I have loved over the years. But, one thing will always be true. “Once a gleek, always a gleek. Glee is forever.” ❤